Surgery Day

I woke up actually pretty calm. I took my shower with this surgical solution. Made my skin feel reaaaaal nice. Jk it made my skin SO dry. But you gotta do what you gotta do!

My parents came to pick me up, and off we go to the hospital.

Once there they took me to the pre op room. I had to put on this purple gown. Which btw I was kinda obsessed with the color. So that was nice! They also put my iv in and put a nausea patch behind my ear.

Dr Unger and Dr Whitworth came in and talked with me. Dr Unger drew on me with a sharpie. Then the nurse put this dye in my lymph nodes to tell if I had lymph node involvement. This shot must had been a bad one bc they gave me some feel good medicine in my iv before they gave me that shot.

After that my parents, Ray, and my brother were able to come in and talk to me. Then it was go time. I waved to my parents and was wheeled off.

Next thing I remember is waking up in post op. They were monitoring my breathing and vitals. Dr Unger was able to go above the muscles so pain wasn’t bad.

Then I was wheeled into my room. This is where I found out that one of my lymph nodes showed a “speck” of cancer. Lovely… they did say that when they took the node out that it was attached to another node. That one looked clear. So I’m praying and hoping that I still will not need chemo or radiation. However those are back on the table now.

My dad stayed with me at the hospital. We had a pretty good night. Other than being woken up like 5 times but that’s expected.

The next day I was able to go home after I ate lunch. So exciting! I was worried about the bumpy drive home but my dad was a champ at missing potholes etc!

I have 4 drains right now. They basically suction any bad stuff out of my body. It’s kind of gross but necessary. I have to change them 3 times a day and measure what I am getting out of them. Another shout out to my dad and mom for doing this for me. I honestly don’t know how anyone goes thru this alone.

There was pain but it was manageable.

I go back to Dr. Unger on Tuesday to hopefully get two of the drains removed.


One more thing. I got SO many beautiful flowers and balloons. Anytime I’m feeling down I just look at them. They make me smile.

I also got a huge comfort package from two of my girl friends. I’m pretty lucky to be loved so much by my family and friends.

I appreciate each one of you reaching out to me. I’ve been trying to respond to you all.

If anyone has questions for me I would be happy to answer them for you.

I was overwhelmed by the ladies that told me that they would schedule a mammogram this week.

I’ll write more later but just wanted to give you guys an update on the first two days.

Published by


I was diagnosed with Stage IIIA Grade 2, HR/PR positive HER2 negative breast cancer at age 31. I am now NED!

17 thoughts on “Surgery Day”

  1. YOU ARE SO STRONG. I love following your journey and appreciate you sharing your story! Thoughts and prayers to you!!!


  2. You’re story caught my attention since I went through that process with my mom. We called her drains “bombs” we had a few laughs so it seems you have a good sense of humor to get through it all! My doctor recommend I have a mastectomy to be safe, but not sure..Your story motivates me to get genetic testing done. I’ve just had a lot of anxiety about it. Thank you for sharing, and hoping for a quick recovery!!


    1. You and your mom sound like strong women! Genetic testing can be scary. But if it came back positive you have options. And they would watch you way more carefully. Much love! – Laura


  3. Thank you for sharing your story….for just being real. Will be praying for you in the next few months of your recovery. God is good. XO


  4. Happened to run across your tweets recently and am so sorry about what you’re going through. I’m glad you’re blogging as i think i sometimes that is good therapy! I will for sure put you on a prayer list i have and pray for your healing and that no chemo/radiation is required. Hang in there. You’re beautiful and strong!!


  5. I’ve had 3 fibroadenomas all before I was 21. I’ve been lump free for years but just recently found another small lump below my breast and didn’t want to think anything of it but after seeing all you have been through I’m calling my doctor first thing Monday. I’m sending all the prayers and hugs your way! Thank you for sharing your story❤️


    1. I think that is super smart of you for getting it checked. I do want to tell you that my doctor said my Fibroadenomas had NOTHING to do with my cancer. So try not to worry. I’m sure that it is a Fibroadenoma. But definitely get it checked. Here for you if you need to talk or have any questions!


  6. I just hope you know how amazing you are! So strong (even if we don’t choose the cards we are dealt) you are handling it so gracefully and holding on to your faith. You’re in my prayers Laura! Thank you for sharing your story! Please continue to do so and please allow Ray or Amy to keep us updated on the show.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s